This year we made Khmer New Year very special by celebrating it at the beach in Sihanoukville, Cambodia. It’s our children’s first time to visit the place and they really love it!
Sihanoukville is 4 hours away from Phnom Penh and it is easily reached by car or bus. My family decided to take the local bus which only cost 18,000 Riels or $4.50 per pax. Sorya Bus company is one of the biggest tour companies in the country and they have 5 trips from Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville every day, starting from 7:00 in the morning. Their service is good as well since many tourists prefer to ride with them.
On the day of our trip, I prepared food for the whole family to eat. There’s dumplings, chicken adobo, sandwich, and french fries that can be shared by everybody. The kids settled with their psp, iPad, and games while waiting for our bus to arrive at our destination. When we got there, all their smiles are really BIG!
Now it’s time to head to our guesthouse. A month before Khmer New Year, I decided to research good places to stay in Sihanooukville. There were many options but of course I have to stay with my budget. I want a decent place to stay in and as much as possible with swimming pool. Golden Sand Hotel and Beach Club Resort were on my list, but at the end, I booked in Orchidee.
Orchidee is a very relaxing place and I didn’t make a mistake in booking two bungalows here. Each room costs $22/night with 2 beds, 1 TV, 1 small fridge, and nice bathroom. The service staff are also very friendly and the whole place is really tidy.
Wrapping up my blog on our trip, I’ll give two thumps up for the fun and all the activities we did in Sihanoukville. The kids are happy, my husband enjoyed, and I am able to splurge on seafood dishes – conclusion: WE ARE A HAPPY FAMILY!
By the way, I’m ending with few suggestions on how you can make your trip memorable like ours, too. So, have fun!
1. Book your hotel or guesthouse at least 2-3 weeks in advance, especially when you’re going on a national holiday.
2. Plan the things you want to do and make a budget.
3. Bring beach essentials like sunglasses, sunscreen lotion, sarong, and other small stuff for easy carrying.
5. Keep your valuables in a water proof case.
6. Try the foot or body massage at the beach. There’s plenty of masseuse walking around and their price starts at $4 up.
7. Legs, arms, or whole body threading is also available. I tried it and it cost me $25 for the whole body threading + massage. Not bad, right?
8. Try the water sports available. There are inflatables in the middle of the waters and it cost adults at $3.50 while children at $2.50. You can rent a jetski for $60/hour but since it’s Khmer New Year, you may expect their price to go up a little higher. Banana boat costs $12/ride for 6 people.
9. Dolphin Tours offer island tours starting at $15/person and it includes a visit to 3 islands, snorkeling, fishing, and sightseeing for the whole day. Trips start at 9AM.
10. Eat plenty of seafood since it’s really cheap there.
11. Local restaurants in beach front allows tourists and locals to use their beach lounge chairs and in return you may want to order food or drinks from them.
12. Sea front is very nice at night time with all the candle lit tables and BBQ smoke coming from the restaurants. Try it and I am sure you love it!